Thursday, January 24, 2008

kuih kablooiieee

So today mum and I felt like Chinese New Year biscuit making. Back then when I was younger, grandma had the secret recipe... the age old yummy yummy recipes for all these cookies. All we did was to help out during the moulding process. No one was allowed to help with the batter. Somehow someway mum managed to worm it out from her a couple of years before grandma passed on. But grandma equipped us with the skills on how to make the perfect love letter, honeycomb and kuih bangket - just not the recipe.


Years after grandma passed on, mum and I would sit down one day and just make love letters. Not the truck load we used to make when grandma was around (we used to make enough to give out to neighbors and my aunts and uncles) all in the spirit of Chinese New Year. This year is no exception.

Mum concocted the batter, I started the fire and heated up the love letter moulds. Fire was burning nicely. Batter was tasty.


But somehow, something was not right. Normally it takes about... I don't know... about 5 mins to get one love letter done. This time, it took us half an hour to get one. And I'm not saying TRYING to make one after having a few failures, it was literally one. It took forever to brown.

After two, mum and I decided to pack up and make honeycombs instead. So she packed up and I sat there manning the burning charcoal stove hoping and wishing the remaining three wouldn't take too long.

5 mins after mum stepped in the house... *KABLLOOIIIEEEE* (yeah I know, explosions don't go kablooie but it sounds way better than kaboom)

Ash... charcoal... debris... the grill... and all the loveletter moulds went flying in the air...

One piece of burning charcoal fell conveniently on my left calf and burnt me skin. I now have a burn scar the size of a dime...


and the front porch... has a hole....


What a day....... geezzz

Although, I have to say that I am uber glad that even though it blew up right in front of me... nothing really bad happened to me... I'm counting my lucky stars ;)

No comments: