Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Trying to be as eco-friendly as possible

I've been writing a bit about being friendly to the environment for a while now and especially after the Earth Hour rant, I wanted to show everyone that being environmentally friendly is not that all difficult.

I know it does take a little going out of your regular way but it's really quite worth it!


I know this is a tad unsightly but here's how I collect plastics and paper at home. The plastics need a bit more work though. I make sure they're all clean and empty before putting them in the pile. Let's face it, the people at the recycling plant already have the painstaking job of trying to read which category it falls into, let alone needing to clean it.


For fertilizer, I usually take the odds and ends of veggies, chop them up into smaller pieces and dunk them into the blender. I'll add in some water that I've used to wash/soak veggies in earlier so that it blends smoother...


It really does kinda look like some regular smoothie :P and truth be told, it doesn't smell that all bad!

Dilute the mixture with more water and pour it over my plants like you're watering them like normal. The blended mixture makes it easier for it to disintegrate and it's a lot better than dunking the odds and ends, and waiting for it to decay.

How else do you try to be eco-friendly? Do share some ideas :)

No comments: