Thursday, July 31, 2008

jumping jiminy!

No it's not about a cricket. In case you haven't noticed already, I have this thing about taking pictures of insects. I find that it gives me some sort of satisfaction especially after I've captured a great clear shot of it because let me tell you, it ain't easy trying to shoot insects.

Today I went to the back garden to look at my herbs. The weather is too warm, my rosemary was drying up. So I picked it up and was about to to put it somewhere shadier, then I noticed something wriggling and jumping up and down at the side. I looked over. It was a centipede. It kept wriggling and jumping up and down, at one point I got a little scared that it might jump at me and go "Haiyah!!!" with a smashing sidekick in my face.

After a little struggle (god knows what it was struggling about) it settled in a little crevice and stayed there. So I took a picture of it. I tried to take an aerial shot of it then all of a sudden it JUMPED right up... I freaked, I screamed and I ran into the house.

Anyways I did a tad of research on the centipede and this is what I'm guessing the one I found is

Scolopendromorpha

Scolopendromorpha

Scientific classification
Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Arthropoda
Subphylum: Myriapoda
Class: Chilopoda
Subclass: Epimorpha
Order: Scolopendromorpha
Families

The more primitive of the Epimorpha, the Scolopendromorpha comprise 21 or more segments with the same number of paired legs. Their antennae have 17 or more segments. Their eyes will have at least 4 facets on each side.

(got this from here)


If you look closely and count, the little fella does have 21 segments. I didn't bother counting the antennae and well I got a shot from it's rear end so we won't know if its eyes have at least 4 facets on each side. But hey it's cool isn't it?


I do get a bit of the creepy crawlies though when I stare at the picture for too long. It feels like it's gonna jump up at me anytime and go "Haiyah! Take that you silly person!"

No comments: