Saturday, July 12, 2008

my osmanthus

I was named after this plant... well technically my grandfather gave me my name after counting the strokes in the characters because apparently a girl born should have a certain number of strokes in her name (I have no idea how many strokes there are). Anyhoo part of my name has this character in it... which by the way is also the name of this flower - osmanthus

One day I passed by a tea shop in the mall. I think it's an Asian thing to like drinking tea... it's like we're brought up with it or something. Anyways I saw these little yellow, pink, blue and green decorated jars and somehow I HAD to go up to the jars to take a closer look.
Lo and behold... the yellow jar had my name written on it (okay, okay, part of my name) so being the dinkus I am... I got totally excited and had to buy that jar of tea.

It's pretty nice tea by the way... smells sweet but doesn't taste sweet... it's kind of like jasmine tea but with a different type of fragrance/smell.

Then it hit me... let's wiki it! And I found out that it's a flower native to warmer countries like Asia and that it can be a little shrub up to a tree about 6ft or so in height. The flowers are produced in spring, summer and or autumn and the flowers are really teeny... about a third of an inch and has only four petals. Really cute looking flowers.

Then one time, I was with mum at the nursery looking at plants for the garden... there hiding in a little corner... voila - an osmanthus plant


Naturally I bought it. *duh*

Now every morning before I go to work... I stop by my little plant and take a sniff because it smells so darn good :)

And now it's trying to give a little bit of attitude... and growing leaves from out of its little flower.

Yeah, this was actually the whole point of writing this blog down.... HAHAHA gotcha!

No comments: