Tuesday, October 18, 2011

How far will you go...?

Earlier I had complained to the pup that I had to write an advertorial for a client.

FYI advertorial = advertisement + editorial (meaning it's a paid written piece and not a paid space like an advertisement).

Now with my job, I get a lot of advertorials to write and create, and don't get me wrong but most of them are pretty fun and challenging. I get to do some about cars, paint, toothpaste and the list goes on. The fun part is that you actually get to convey a lot more information than an advertisement to people. The scary part is, depending on which magazine it is, there is a certain percentage of people who ACTUALLY trust these advertorials.

Unfortunately, I was handed one that pretty much went against my principles of how children should be brought up on.

I admit, I'm not a mother. I have no children, but I already know what rules my future children will have to abide to when it comes to respect, food and play. I have many nieces and nephews and I love them to bits, but I do disagree with some ways that my cousins bring them up.

Anyways, back to my case - I had to write an advertorial for a fast food place who wants to encourage mothers and families to bring their children over for a meal because they use 100% quality ingredients.

A key word I had to MAKE SURE never appeared in the advertorial - "healthy". I could

It really really bugged the crap out of me and it was one of my most challenging jobs ever because it was so hard to bring myself to actually write something convincing when I am totally against it.

It's like I'm telling people jumping off a building is fun.

Writing that piece really made me question my principles and ethics in writing...

Then it hit me... how far would you go, ethically in your work.

Sadly I went ahead because at the end of the day it's a job and I need my job. But I do cringe every time I see it...

No comments: