Monday, March 28, 2011

What's your secret ambition?

I remember asking a friend this sometime earlier in the year, and she answered excitedly "A storm chaser!"


And I'm like "Really? A storm chaser?"

She nodded really enthusiastically.

Then she asked me... what was mine... and the first thing that came to mind was a giraffe.

O_o

"Coming from you, I somehow don't find it that all surprising," she said. "But think about it... it could be a good driver/motivator..."

So I did... It took me a while... but I think I know what I secretly would love to do but I know I cannot.



Yes, a prima ballerina. And to dance the role of the Swan Queen no doubt.



I've been obsessed with ballet since I was young. Mom never let me go for classes. She was afraid that I'd walk like a duck (that's how she described turned out legs). Instead, she plopped me down for piano lessons, which I did like.



I finally got my chance to dance... when I turned 18. A little late by then, and I will admit, it was a little embarassing to be joining the five year old class, but still, I enjoyed myself thoroughly.


I took on the Cecchetti method, which apparently a bit more rigid in terms of training. It was said that Ceccheti had mentioned "It is more important to get it right once than to do it a dozen times carelessly."


I loved learning about the positions for my hands and feet, how to do a plie properly, working on my posture and techniques at the barre, learning new French words... it was a dream.


Classes went on for about 18 months till I had to call it quits. My teacher had decided to get married and take a hiatus and I couldn't find another teacher. Plus, it was getting expensive.




But the feeling of tying on your ballet slippers, are just magical....


I wish I had enough time and dedication to go all the way. I'd really love to go en pointe. I've tried wearing pointe shoes and standing... it really is difficult and four out of five times, my calves cramped up.


So one thing I've learnt about ballet is that, it takes a lot of energy and skill to look that graceful. I thought it was easy... but it sure as hell wasn't.


Given a chance, I would say yes to ballet classes again in a heartbeat (granted that I have the time and money to spare).


So yes, my secret ambition is to dance! What's yours?

No comments: