Thursday, December 10, 2009

We reap what we sow

Stories of infidelity splash the headlines in a frenzied fury these days. It is newspapers, gossip tabloids, entertainment channels and everything and everywhere.

It is very sad to see such things happen in our society. I am a firm believer in the sanctity of a marriage or a relationship in this case (since I’m not married yet). There is never any excuse for infidelity. We are all equal in that all of us have self-control.

I have absurdly strong principles on certain/weird matters, and one of them is this.

I believe in holding on to the vows I have made for my partner, I believe in going thru thick and thin, I believe in honoring and respecting him as my partner.
Believe it or not, I hold on to it like my life depends on it.

Which reminds me, where the hell has the sanctity of a marriage gone these days? Was it JUST a ceremony? Was it so that you’ll have what it looks like – a fairytale wedding? Was that it?

Famous couples gone thru infidelity – the Beckhams, Liz Hurley & Hugh Grant, Jen & Brad... and now Tiger and Elin Woods.....

Even a local newsy highlighted cases of husbands seeking prostitutes because their wives are busy climbing the corporate ladder.

Most times I want to say, couples have no one else to blame but the both of them because in a marriage, it takes two to clap. It takes two to hold up a sacred bond. Couples should have more moral values and self control to hold up your marriage no matter what happens.

For most men (forgive me, but this is a generalization based on personal experience here) sexual gratification is a physical thing, but for women, it is emotional.

Men have insecurities and believe me when they say "It's not you, it's me,” because no matter what his partner does to make him feel like the big man he is, he still feels like that teeny little insecure little bugger inside... and so he WILL act on it to make him feel better.
But so do women.

It's not rocket science... men and women cheat because they can and want to... and trust me, most times, they want to. Which makes me wonder, for all you cheaters out there, what on earth did your partner do (not do) to make you want to cheat? Or is it really the case of ‘it’s right there...’

But seriously, if it’s right there or if this is about some sorta revenge, please... at least have the decency to choose someone hotter than your current partner. You’re supposed to progress... not digress....

A relationship is as strong or weak as the both of you are. If the both of you have entered into it for the right reasons, then it is most definitely strong enough to keep out all odds. A relationship is only threatened by adultery if those in it allow it to be.

We live in a materialistic and commercialized world where everyone is used to and demands instant gratification. We are so strung up on being able to do everything in almost an instant....

We all know that nothing is magic. Nothing happens immediately. If you want something, you have to work for it.
So I say, hold on to your damned wedding vows and honor thy partner.

Because it is true – we do reap what we sow in a marriage or in a relationship. If you give 50% your partner will give 50%.

So yeah, clean up your own mess. If you don't want to... don't create one in the first place.

No comments: