Thursday, July 14, 2011

Shigeri Kitsu - Melody of Four Seasons

So I'm having some alone time and I'm so glad that I did! With the pup around, I barely get to go to any Japanese events because he doesn't understand the language, culture and he doesn't really enjoy the food either! Sad isn't it?

But then again I get to enjoy my own world when he gets to enjoy his worlds.

Anyways, I booked a ticket to watch Shigeri Kitsu, a minyo artiste playing live at the Dewan Sivik MBPJ. To tell you the truth, I had never heard about her before this but I'd never pass on an opportunity to experience something like this!


Being totally unfamiliar with the roads, it took me a really long time to reach the venue. I mean seriously, there were no proper signs to show where the place really was.


We were greeted by these traditionally clothed mannequins at the reception.


Don't ask me why. I really didn't see the point in it. Initially I thought that it had something to do with what she would be wearing during the performance, but nope.


We were allowed to go in and grab our seats at about slightly past 8. The arena was free seating so I was pretty lucky that I got there early, I managed to grab an aisle seat, right in front of the stage.


The night started with the Dewan Budaya's cultural dance troupe doing a contemporary number. This was also something I didn't get.


Then they did a musical performance with some traditional instruments. This was pretty good :)


Then they started to set up Shigeri-san's stage....


She emerged from the darkness of the stage and into the spotlight.


Spring


Summer



Autumn



Winter. This part, she hid in the corner plucking the shamisen while the slide show went on and on with lots of gorgeous winter images.


And she finished off with the drums.


Shigeri-san then dedicated a song to the quake that happened in Japan this year. It was upsetting to see so many lives, especially those of the fishing communities, wiped out. Just. Like. That.


Then she played a few more traditional numbers.



This... by far... was her best performance the entire night IMHO. There was so much vigour, control and passion in this.



Look at her go!!!!




Towards the end of her last song, the local musical troup troops out clapping in tune to the rhythm...


Then we realized that there was a surprise for her! I didn't manage to catch the first slide which said "Today is her birthday."


And they pushed a cake out from the side :)





Me and Shigeri Kitsu.

The performance was amazing. The vocal control and dedication she has in perfecting her craft is really incredible.

But to be honest, after a while, it got a little boring - partly because it was a one (wo)man show but kudos to her for a fantastic performance!

No comments: