Friday, June 27, 2008

sending and receiving

You know what I love... getting stuff in the mail. Seriously. I love it. Even if it's just a bill or a notification or whatever it is. I just love it.

But at times I'm the worst penpal ever. I have this penpal that I've been writing to since I was around 13... she's from Canada and we used to send each other so much stuff. Leaves, rocks, flags, photos of everything (even the stuff in our drains or on the front porch to our fishes in a tank) which was a lot of fun.

Then she went off to college... and so did I... and bit by bit... our letters started to slow down.... becoming less than once a month... then once every 2-3 months... to about 2-3 letters per year.

Another penpal I had was this guy... whom I met through The Star newspaper. They used to have this penpal thingie going on when I was in elementary school so I wrote in saying that I'd like to have penpals and voila.... it was like a mini matchmaking service. A huge load of people wrote in. This guy - Alvin, is the only guy that I've kept in touch with since then.

We've stopped writing for quite a bit after high school and moved towards e-mails. Then bit by bit we stopped writing. We keep in contact by phone quite a bit though.

It's funny, come to think of it. I only know these two people through their writing and thoughts but yet I feel so close to them... that I can tell them anything I want to and not worry about their judgement and yet trust them to be completely honest with me no matter what.

I miss writing. I just wrote a four-page letter to Mann today... it was fun... I hope to do it more often....

Actually the initial idea for this posting was an entry I wrote in for www.futureme.org but then somehow I got sidestracked and started writing about letters instead....

1 comment:

Mel said...

I remember Alvin, Claire!! *Woohoo! Wonder how he's doing now.