Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Say no to plastic and RECYCLE!

I read this in the papers today [ “I bought so much and they wanted me to pay for plastic bags!” said the disgruntled shopper at Tesco Penang in Jalan Tengku Kudin here yesterday ] and it reminded me of this incident at IKEA last week when I was paying for my stuff.

This lady had bought some food from the nearby counter which was put into a paper bag. Whatever she bought, was doused with oils of some sort and it was slowly seeping through the flimsy paper bag, so she ran over to the cashier (the one where I was at) and hurriedly told the cashier "Gimme a plastic bag!". The cashier smiled and said sweetly "Ma'am, we charge RM0.20 per plastic bag," the lady gave her such a surprised look as if the girl had told her she has three heads and an octopus sticking out her arse and disgruntedly exclaimed "RM0.20 per bag? Gila! I don't want ah, so expensive!"

I've always been passionate about recycling since 2004. I bring canvas bags out shopping, in fact I always have one in the car and one in my bag. Yes I can hear you "What if you forget to bring a bag one fine day?"

Well, either I hold the stuff that I buy, OR I just don't buy - of course it depends on how much I'm buying anyways. And of course I know that if I'm going grocery shopping, I'll bring more than one canvas bag just in case. So there *pbbbbthhh*

Anyways, I'm glad that the government is enforcing the RM0.20 per plastic bag. In fact I think it's great. We take so many things for granted. Paper, plastic, glass, metal and the list goes on.
Have a conscience people... help save the earth... you live here. Don't be selfish.

No comments: