Sunday, February 14, 2010

Valentine's Day vs Chinese New Year

Which would you choose? To spend the day with your loved one.... or to spend it with your loved ones?

I had to choose this year. Spend Feb 14 with my puppy and get what could only be described as worse punishement than what Kathy Bates dealt in Misery... or celebrate Chinese New Year as usual with all my relatives....

With the Chinese blood pumping through my veins.... Chinese New Year trumps Valentine's Day.

Besides, I see the puppy everyday... and as he said "Every day is like Valentine's Day for us... no biggie,"

So yeah, it was the usual stuff... went back to granpa's house on the eve of Chinese New Year.... went to the temple to do the usual prayer offerings....


I love how the offering papers always leave silver markings on my hands... it's like proof... "Here grandpa... I made these with my very own hands!"



The usual fare... always too much great food that you don't know where to start and where to end... and always end up overeating.... to heck with diets...

The morning of Chinese New Year... serving tea to my uncle and aunt... of course with good wishes... and in return, I get my ang pows! Yay!
Then it was back to Ipoh for more family gatherings.... this time for a barbecue at my uncle's house and endless rounds of mahjong....

That's me and two of my cousins.... can't tell who is who here though hahaha

Photo courtesy of www.hugolim.com

It's really more of a spectator/consultancy thing than a game.... as we play... cousins or aunts/uncles will walk past and tell you "Keep this tile," or "Hey you've just won..." and most times, we'll have like 3 consultants per player and 10 spectators all together....
Photo courtesy of
www.hugolim.com

This is mom and I.
Photo courtesy of www.hugolim.com

Thankfully.... I received a very pleasant surprise this year for Valentine's Day. I was out shopping on CNY eve (Feb 13) when a florist from back home called up telling me that she has a delivery for me... I told her I'll only be home in a few days time and she said alright, she'll deliver then...

My first Valentine's Day bouquet... also my first bouquet... ever...

It was from Andy. I thanked him and asked him why did he do it. He said I deserved to have flowers. I deserved to be happy. This is a way of him trying to make up for all those years. It was a very sweet gesture... albeit a tad too late...
I didn't tell the puppy who it was from. He asked, and I just said "I don't know, came to me without a sender's name..." and he teased me about having admirers....
Well whatever it is, it's just a bouquet... I've never received a dozen of red roses like this before... so let me bask in it... I deserve it...

No comments: