Friday, January 14, 2011

Is it just me?

It's weird, well not really weird, really. It's just the way it is sometimes.
Beware rant post below.

Depending on your thoughts and openness to things, you will get what I mean and if you don't, I don't blame you. But feel free to comment. I'd like to hear what other people think.

I'm talking about the age old question "So when are you getting married?". I've oddly been asked that question by four people this month, and it's only the 14th.

Then the last person who asked the question said "Every other female around your age can't wait to get married. Are you even female? Plus, you've been dating for quite a while now, so don't be surprised if a 5th or 6th person asks you that same question again later..."

Note: It probably is just an Asian thing, but the moment you start dating someone for about at least 6 months, EVERYONE will start to ask when are you getting married. Some mean it as a joke but most people are just curious. I think it's some sort of gage to see how serious the both of you are.

So I told him the same thing I blogged about earlier referencing Johnny Depp about marriage which I really do agree with - and he calls me weird.

"Okay I'm weird. Then YOU define marriage and let's have a little debate."

"Well, marriage is more like a secure thing, you know? It's like, it doesn't matter how long you've been together, but when shit happens, everything ends and you're back at square one. So marriage is at least a more secure commitment, or so I feel."

Note: Most people I know have the same idea - get married so that your partner will not run away from you. Another idea - get pregnant so that the guy will marry you.

Do you see what kind of imbeciles I deal with on a daily basis? And I'm pretty sure a lot of other people I know will agree with him.

I've personally seen many family members and friends who have been together forever and get married, and they're like the most loving couple in the world that every time they come around, you just need the vomit bucket passed over.

But shit happens and now they're in limbo think about whether or not they should stay together for the sake of the marriage, for the sake of the children... but what happened for the sake of yourselves?

Call me selfish. But I don't believe in "securing" someone legally just so that if he/she wants to break up with me it's harder.

Again I will stress my point as I have in my earlier blogs - get married because you want to spend the rest of your life with the love of your life. DON'T effing get married just because everyone else is doing it, you want some sort of social status elevation, peer and family pressure because you'd be better of jumping off a cliff with the lemmings.

To me, if shit hits the ceiling - own up, clean up the mess and if you need to, just stand up and walk away.

No comments: