Saturday, January 1, 2011

What's the worst that can happen?

Happy New Year peeps.

Remember when I asked the pup what's the worst that could happen after our neverending fevers?

CAUTION: NOT FOR THE FAINT-HEARTED. IMAGE OF FLESH WOUND AHEAD. PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK ONLY
*
*
*
*
*
*
Don't say I didn't warn you. I know some people who cannot look at wounds... they get all disgusted, nauseated, weak in the knees, feel faint or all of the above.
*
*
*
*
*

I always kinda knew that he had a blood pressure problem, but it was today that I realized how severe it was.

The pup was having a bit of a confrontation with our housemate. Long story cut short - he got drunk on NYE, came home kicking up a fuss while his friend was trying to get him to just go back to the bedroom. Cops came in the end to arrest him for being a public nuisance. Pup wanted to just tell him off - drink all you want, please don't make a mess in my house... and come home drunk stealing my ciggies.

I was napping at that point and I heard a loud crash. Thirty seconds later, I heard a bunch of frantic knocks on my bedroom door and a voice "Can you please come out? He's fainted..."

I was pretty drowsy at that time and just nodded.

I walked into the bathroom to freshen up and I heard the pup's voice in the next room. He was going on about "Yeah I'm alright, just that I've been battling a fever so I'm not feeling very well..."

So I thought he was alright.

Next thing I know, I see him standing at our room door looking very dazed. His hand was cupping his chin slightly and he mumbled "Hun... I fainted and hit the floor..."

I saw blood on his chin and ran to get some tissues to help.

He walked towards the wall and just slowly sank to the floor mumbling "I think I'm feeling faint again."

That's when I got a clear look of his wound - a 2"x1" gash that split his chin.

I flipped out.

Thank goodness my first instinct was to run to the kitchen to get a ziplock bag full of ice for him.

He was unstable and still quite pale. I had no choice, I knew I couldn't handle this on my own. The two guys were there, but I knew it was my responsibility. They've caused enough trouble (on my end, or so I felt) and I really didn't want them involved any more. I called an ambulance.

It was the first time in about 10 years or so that I carried out a full conversation in Malay.

Took them 20 minutes to get here and pick him up.

I told the pup that I'll meet him there and they wheeled him out on a gurney.

I ran downstairs to get into my car and saw the ambulance pulling out from the porch and on its way.

That's when I broke down. I don't think I have ever been this scared in my entire life. I was hyperventilating and tears just kept falling down. It lasted a good half hour for me to compose myself.

I finally got to the hospital (without getting lost, thank goodness) and took me 15 minutes to figure out the car parking system, another 10 minutes to figure out where to go and another 15 minutes to find him.

Maybe I was nervous. Maybe I was just too irrational at that point but seriously... these people need to learn how to lay hospital plans out properly! Geez!!!

Anyways, I finally found him. Sitting forlornly in a wheel chair inside the consultation hall. Sat with him throughout the entire procedure.


I took another pic of his wound while waiting for the stitching doctor. It's so scary.

1. Registration and waiting for his turn - 30mins
2. Doctor to assess what's wrong and to prescribe a medical solution - 20 mins
3. Tetanus jab - 2 mins
4. Nurse to send him to get his stitches - never happened.
5. Me to wheel him to get his stitches - 5 mins (it was a very winding maze inside)
6. Waiting to get his stitches - 10 mins (turns out the doc wasn't in - yet!)
7. Getting his stitches done - 20 mins
8. Getting his antibiotics & pain killers - 20 mins (because after you give the pharmacist the prescription, you have to walk all the way back to the registration area to pay... and then all the way back again to get the meds)

We finally got home at about 9pm.
So yeah, lesson learned today is... to keep my bloody mouth shut!

No comments: